A Model For Success
Quick Facts About Verbum Dei High School
• Verbum Dei is a Jesuit
college and career preparatory
high school that serves
economically and educationally
underserved African American and
Latino students in Watts and the
• Eight years ago Verbum Dei adopted an innovative Corporate Work Study Program created to fund inner-city College and career prep education.
• 100% of Verbum Dei students gain college acceptance. 70 percent have been going on to 4 year colleges and universities. 30 percent have been going to community colleges.
Quick Facts about the
Corporate Work Study Program
• CWSP is an innovative and
award winning, successful
partnership between business,
education and the young
gentlemen of Verbum Dei in
• Participating organizations give us one “full-time equivalent” student internship for a fee of $28,000
• The position is filled by four highly motivated young men from low-income families with an average work attendance of 99 percent;
• Each student works five full days a month on a rotational basis, and they attend classes and participate in extracurricular activities the remaining days
• 97 percent of our student interns receive a performance evaluation of good or excellent.
• Although most of our students benefit from various internship experiences, 37 percent of our seniors have remained at the company they were placed with their freshman year.
• Verbum Dei takes care of all transportation, insurance, workers compensation, and work permits associated with the student interns.
• One of our CWSP staff is assigned to your account as your program coordinator to co-manage the students with you.
• This program also offers our corporate partners significant social and strategic benefits by enabling them to make a very direct and tangible difference in the lives of young men seeking a better future through quality education and work experience in a corporate environment
• Our mission is to build up our inner-city one student at a time, developing tomorrow’s leaders today.